Thursday, March 26, 2009

a God who wrestles.

Jacob wrestled with God.

A friend of mine tonight told me that it's okay that I'm a fighter. She said, "Even Jacob wrestled with God." And yet, he was still blessed.

I needed to hear that.
I feel like there are certain times in my life where I fight. I wrestle with God. That is such a weird thought to me. My personality is one that has a hard time giving up...while this can definitely be a negative thing, it's who I am. I am a fighter at heart.

Something else this friend and I talked about was when Abraham negotiated. Have you ever wanted to do that? Negotiate with God? "What if You did this instead of that?" "What if You blessed me here instead of there?" Whether or not we want to admit it, we all have a little bit of Abraham in us. However, the difference between us and Abraham is that most of the time we do it for selfish reasons, we want our lives to be better...Abraham's reason was selfless. Even after the Lord saved him, he risked negotiating with GOD. He had the guts to ask the Lord to change His mind. This is mind-blowing to me. This passage, almost more than any other, reminds me that talking to God works.

I don't now about you but I see similarities between Jacob and Abraham...both didn't like what the Lord was doing and so in their own way, they fought.

What would my life look like if when I wrestled with God, I did it the same way that Abraham did? What if, instead of wrestling and negotiating about things that didn't matter, I negotiated with God for the lives of lost people and for issues that would directly affect eternity?

I'm not sure if any of this makes sense. All I know is that the reminder tonight about Jacob and Abraham was just what I needed. Sometimes I completely dislike what the Lord is doing. Thank goodness He is a God that will "wrestle" back.

1 comment:

Abby :) said...

This makes sense and it's something I really needed to hear. Thanks for your wisdom. :)