Friday, January 4, 2008

Colossians 1:1-14

I started reading from the book of Colossians today during my quiet times and came across something that I have missed before; or at least the importance of it. In the tenth verse, Paul says that he and Timothy are praying for the people so that they "may live a life worthy of the Lord." This statement obviously implies that we can live out our days in a way that is unworthy of the Lord. This verse stopped for a bit but then I kept reading and came up with the answer to the question that I had begun asking: What does a life that is worthy of the Lord look like?

Verses 10-12 give a list of 4 things that constitute a life worthy of the Lord. These four things are:
1. "bearing fruit in every good work"
2. "growing in the knowledge of God"
3. "being strengthened with all power...so that you may have great endurance and patience"
4. "and joyfully giving thanks to the Father..."

After reading these four "requirements" for worthy life, my eyes were blown open. How often do I even think about these things let alone practice them with my whole heart? Am I ever consciously wondering if I am placing myself in the position to bear fruit? Am I in the Word every day in order to know God better? Am I praying for strength and wisdom so that I can make it through the race? Am I thanking my Father for saving me from the darkness of evil? Unfortunately, the majority of the time, I would have to answer these questions with a "no."

As I continue to sit and ponder these four things, I am trying to figure out a way that I can begin practicing all of these so that may live a life that is worthy. After thinking about these things, I have decided that the second one is something that I am working on since I have already set myself a goal for this year. However, the first "requirement" is something that I really need to start considering. How often am I thinking about bearing fruit and furthering the Kingdom? However, I'll have to get back to you once I figure out how I plan to place myself in a position for this.

These are the things on my mind right now...I'm working on losing myself and my habits that make life seem worth living and pushing myself towards a life that is actually worthy of the Lord.

No comments: