Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Colossians 1:18

As I was reading tonight, I continued on in my trek through Colossians. However, I had to stop after verse 18. I have never realized this...well, I underlined it once before but do not remember learning it.

"And He is the head of the body, the church;..."

I remember growing up and hearing all of those stories about the body of Christ and how without a foot we couldn't walk or without an ear we could not hear. However, I never remember hearing this kind of lesson in my younger years. The Lord is the head of the body of Christ. We can not be an eye because He is the omnipotent God. We can not be the mouth because it is His message that we are giving...not anyone else's. He is the head. He is the "brains" behind the rest of the body.

Another way that I saw this tonight for the first time is that whatever part of the body that I am, is not in charge of another. It is the brain (God) that is behind why the body does what it does...but I am a part of the body that does what I am told. I am part of the active body of Christ because God is telling me to take a step or to hold a child's hand. Whatever I do, I have to start looking at my life this way. I have to start realizing that God is the brains and I am nothing more than an obedient foot or hand.

I wonder what would happen if every follower of Christ would admit this; if every Christ follower would admit the fact that Christ is the one in charge and we are the parts of the body under submission to His power.

No comments: